Finally I took the plunge today.
Ordered a Kindle.
I feel like I betrayed someone or something.
After years of turning pages and holding books up to my nose to take in the new book/old book/ in between new and old book smell – I feel like a traitor.
But there is no other way. There is just not enough storage space. I have toyed with the idea for over a year and finally the day is upon me.
In my defense though I did consider and rule out all of the following options below one by one:
1. Buy a new place exclusively to house my books. But the whole going back and forth to read business kind of made me cancel the idea. Oh and the fact that I couldn’t afford a new house.
2. Throw away unimportant things like food/clothing and keep books instead. If I am very hungry I could look at my recipe books and sigh. I did buy them for that purpose alone. To look at and drool. However that does not leave me with enough space so no use anyway.
3. Make all my family members shift into the kitchen so that the rest of the house could be used for book storage. I have realized over time that people occupy less space than books. Also people can be folded and pushed into a corner without much damage. Books on the other hand… There is no way I am folding pages – so forget it. But after facing stiff resistance from the other members of the household I had to fold. No pun intended. They just don’t understand the need of the hour.
4. I considered asking all my friends for corners of their homes to store books. But dropped the idea again (refer to point 1) That and the fact that I don’t trust my friends. They are quite likely to squirrel out the books to some unknown location and they could be lost to me forever. Stolen books are so much more fun to read.
5. Sell/Give away the books I am done reading. Let me tell you a story. My mom once long ago gave away a carton of old comics/books thinking I am done reading them. Till this day I spend long hours tracing and buying them back over the internet stores for 4 times what they cost then. I still haven’t traced the old World war II comics covering the resistance and I still grumble about it to her whenever I go home.
6. Stop buying more books……………………………………………………. hahahahahhahahhah. I know. I know. Stupid Idea. I must have been high on book binding glue.
So after these and several other impractical ideas like living in the balcony/buying crossword itself and converting it to a home cum library/ – I realized that I cannot hold out any more.
If I have to read – and read books that I own ( What was that? Join a library? Tsk Tsk……no self respecting reader ever relies on the local library) – there is just no other way.
So like I said before I finally bought it.
It hasn’t arrived yet. And for the next 30 min after I ordered it online – I toyed with the idea of canceling the order.
But I haven’t and I shall stick with it. Worst case scenario- if I hate it – I shall only download one book on it and pretend the whole thing is just one hard cover SCI FI book and store it on the shelf between Cosmos and Freakonomics in the spice cupboard in the kitchen where the rest of the family is drugged and sleeping while I sell body parts one by one to pay for the new house and of course new books.